Wednesday 23 March 2016

Like a love story.


 I had published my first book lately and it was a moderate success. When you pour out your heart into something and if it does not pay off, it starts killing you slowly. Dejection had taken over me and my editor, Mr Mehra perceived it. He invited me to dinner and to a genial discussion about my prospects as an author to give a lift to my low spirits.
I reached his home at sharp 8 pm. It was the month of November and there was freezing cold outside. I was shivering, so to warm myself, I was rubbing my hands against each other. I rang the bell and after three minutes, Aradhya, Mr Mehra’s daughter opened the door. And she offered her hand for a handshake and we shook hands. She let me in and said mom is not at home and dad is in the washroom. I sat down on the sofa and she settled opposite me. She had been an intimate friend of mine for a while. Garruslous by nature, she started talking and I sat there gazing into her pretty face and listening to her sweet chirping. I was feeling that eternity should start now. But Mr. Mehra turned up in a few minutes and cut in on us. Before long, I found myself talking to him about my new novel completing forgetting his precious daughter with her blue eyes.
Being close friends, Aradhya and I would often meet and share the burdens of each others’ hearts. One day, we were sitting in the serene atmosphere of a park. All of a sudden, she became sentimental and told me that her parents were compelling her to agree to marry an affluent young businessman she didn’t like. She recounted how her parents had been pestering her. Her words were a mixture of fears and frustrations. I was just gazing at her and my heart was immensely troubled at her plight. I couldn’t believe that the Mr Mehra I knew could do that. As soon she finished I blurted ‘‘I think I am in love with you.’’ I don’t know why and how I did that instead of trying to compose her. I was flabbergasted at my own behavior. She sprang from the bench still with tears in her eyes. But these droplets rolling down her maddeningly beautiful cheeks could no longer be called the tears of sorrow. Her face lit up and crying harder, she said, ‘’Really? Still shocked by my proposal to her that came out of nowhere, I absent-mindedly said, ‘’Yes’.  Then she hugged me crying harder and said, ‘’I love you too.’’ I was still unable to make out what had happened. Is it for this reason that people call it falling in love? It’s not voluntary but you fall into it. Whatever it was, it was great. Something was surging in me and I was feeling I had melted from the feeling that I was experiencing. It’s indescribable. After a long intimate conversation, we had to part.
While driving back home I was experiencing strange things. My heart was hopping. I was feeling fulfilled.  Nature was adding fuel to my passion. The sound of the chilling wind was music to my ears. For the first time I was feeling so good in life and all was the magic was of love. Soon our meetings turned into dates and their frequency increased. But who knew what would happen next.
Soon I was profoundly involved in writing my new book. From early morning hours till late night , I was either thinking or writing.  My passion for my book seemed to have supplanted my passion for everything and everyone else. Why and how  I cannot tell. Every night, after drafting the final copy of my daily portion of writing, I would check my mobile to find 50 missed calls of Aradhya. Too worn out myself and assuming that, she would have gone to sleep, I would evade calling her at night too. I couldn’t explain my apathy to my newly found love. Probably my passion for my book had consumed me.
One day when I was taking my lunch I got a message on my mobile and I checked it, it was from her, she had written ‘‘just came out from the psychiatrist’s clinic, very depressed, want to meet you in the same park, urgent.’’
I immediately drove to the park. She was sitting there in a pink suit. There were tears in her eyes. I went near her and asked ‘Aradhya, what happened?’ She replied ‘I am suffering from Bi Polar Disorder.’
She said ‘My parents are forcing me to marry that opulent businessman. But I love you and can’t live without you. But you have totally forsaken me. You don’t even answer my call, let alone meeting.

This time, her tears did not seem to move me much. I replied ‘’No darling, I ain’t forsaken you. I just want to finish my book and then I will devote my whole life to you. This book is gonna be a best-seller, I tell you.’’ But, can’t you even talk to me?’’
I added ‘Okay, I promise, I will talk with you every day on the phone.’
It was Wednesday, the time was around 11 pm, and I had not slept for more than two hours in previous two days. I was typing on my laptop when I got a call, it was her call. So I got up from my chair and answered her call.  ‘’How are you? What are you doing?’’, said she.
I said ‘I was just typing.’ My sister came inside without knocking at the door with a glass of milk and I shouted at her not knowing why. Aradhya said ‘Why are you so exasperated? Why do you talk with your family like this?’
I said ‘I am a bloody writer I can do whatever I want to.’
She said ‘but still, they are your family.’
I disconnected the phone call and I came back to my desk to type, my phone rang again but I didn’t answer and it kept ringing. After the interval of a few minutes, it was the fourth call when I answered and snapped ‘why are you disturbing me? What do you think of yourself? Have you called to teach me how to behave with my family? If it’s so, thank you very much, now get lost.’ And I hung up on her and  switched the mobile off and I started typing again. In a little while, I came back to my senses and it flashed on me that I had done her a great wrong. She was suffering from Bi Polar Disorder. How could I do that? I switched it on and I dialed her number but it was switched off.
Two weeks had passed since that incident and I was very close to completing my book.  A lot had happened in these two weeks. I had quarrelled with my parents also and was living in a new apartment. I called her many times but she didn’t answer and I was too occupied to go meet her.
It was a Monday, when I got a message and I checked it, it was her message, she had written ‘Please come and meet me at Starbucks Café, maybe after this I will never meet you.’ I quickly came out of my apartment, Starbucks Café was in Raj Nagar just five minutes drive from my apartment, I come down and I saw that there was heavy traffic jam on the road so I decided to run. I reached there in ten minutes as I reached near the cafe she was clearly visible to me from the window. She sat in the Starbucks café, sipping her coffee and staring out of the window. The blood stained knife lay next to her covered with blue silk scarf but still some portion of it was still visible. I went near her and sat on the opposite chair, everyone was already throwing odd looks at me. I said ‘Aradhya, what happened?’
She turned towards me completely she was crying and scared, there was a laceration on her face and it was fresh, there were many more marks on her hands, neck and cheeks. I kept my hands on her, she started sobbing, I got up and I went and sat next to her and I gave her a hug. My eyes fell on that knife which was half visible, I removed the blue silk scarf from it, it was a blood stained knife, I looked around, by now I was the centre of concentration of the whole café, and everyone was looking at me throwing me criminal looks. I wrapped it again and I hid it in her hand bag, I asked her again the same question but she kept on crying, I brought her in my arms and asked her again ‘Aradhya, tell me what happened?’ wiping hr tears.
She said ‘Murder!’ 
I said ‘What?’ in a horror look.
She said ‘I had killed my uncle.’ And she started crying more.
She asked a moment later, will they give me a death sentence? Or will they send me to jail for my whole life?’
She was sobbing in my arms, tears rolled down my cheeks, I added ‘Aradhya, just tell me the whole thing.’
She started saying, her voice was mixed with fear, cry, and she was shivering.
She said ‘After we have a fight that day, I became even more depressed, my uncle was newly married and his wife was a psychiatrist so I should go to her for counseling. As aunty was not having good relationship with uncle so she should always be alone and soon we became good friends, we started sharing our things, we started going for shopping together and we should also go for movies, but when today I went to her house for my regular counseling, uncle opened the door and he let me in. He said that Aunty has gone to neighbor’s house and she will return soon, he said me to sit on the sofa and he went inside. After sometime Uncle came and sat on my adjacent sofa and he started talking with me. After sometimes he kept his hand on my thigh and I removed it immediately. He said ‘Aradhya, I love you.’ I was shocked to hear that, I can’t believe that my uncle had said it. He shifted on my sofa and started kissing me madly all over my face, I was in an extreme shock, I was even not resisting. He threw me down from the sofa and he fell over me, he caught my hands in his tight grip, I was not able to free my hands from him and he started kissing me, and after sometimes he started tearing my top, my senses came back and I somehow threw him away and I ran towards the dining table but he followed me there too, he threw me again on top of the dining table and caught my one hand while his another hand was busy working on my rest of the body, my another hand which was free reached a fruit basket kept on the dining table, when that demon was kissing me it reminded me of the one which we once shared and I started attacking him with that knife until he died and fall away from me, I quickly got up and started moving towards the main door and I got a blue scarf on the sofa, I wrapped this knife in it and I had brought it here.’
Tears were rolling heavily down my checks. She said ‘I had informed police, they will be reaching here soon.’
I asked ‘but, why?’
She said ‘till when I will run from them, they will catch me one day, so why not today?’
We sat there in silence holding each other’s hand and looking at each other’s eyes. Soon the police vehicles came and lady constables arrested her, they put the knife in the evidence bag and took her away, my eyes followed them till the point from where they took a sharp turn and soon vanished from my sight. While paying the bill I could not believe it is a reality, I wish that it should be one of my bad dreams, but it was not. A waitress came to me and said that she had forgotten her handkerchief and she handed it to me. I sat down on my knees and I was just looking at her handkerchief.
 “If you will not care for your dear ones, they will definitely slip away from your hands like the time.”
I was just questioning myself that if I would have given little time to her than this might not happen if I should taken care of her than this she will not have to face this.
I was in the court and judge had already taken his decision, she had been declared six months imprisonment, as it was not an intentional murder but a self defense activity.
After a month I talked with my parents that I wanted to marry her after she comes out of the jail.
Mom said ‘beta, you will marry a girl who had been raped, do you even know what else her uncle had done with her?’
I said ‘no mom, that was the truth which she had told in the court, and I will marry her because I will not be able to give any other girl enough happiness that I can give it to her.’
And within a month they all agreed.
After six months.
I was waiting for her outside the jail with her parents as she came out she hugged her parents and then we hugged each other. I took her and her parents to the mall from where my book was to be released, as we reached their media persons started taking the pictures, I gave the book in her hands and they clicked our photos. She opened the book and read the dedication page, it was dedicated to her, tears came out from her eyes, and I was able to see the same innocence in her eyes, once I have seen in the court. I took out a ring from my pocket and sat on my knees and asked ‘Will you marry me?’
She nodded her head and I slipped the ring in her finger and the whole mall was filled with clapping and whistling sounds.


-Aditya Singh



No comments:

Post a Comment